The Interpreter Console is the system used by Interpreters to listen to one or different audio language inputs and speak the interpretation into a microphone. This microphone is connected to control units and transmitters to transmit the interpretation to people with interpretation receivers. The Interpreter consoles have different functions to improve the efficiency and comfort of the interpreter, like choosing the input channel, muting the transmission, or adjusting audio volume.
Interpreter Console Options
The market of interpreter consoles has a range of maybe 10 different products that fall into certain categories
Single vs Dual Interpreter Console: A console may be designed for the usage of 1 or 2 interpreters at the same time. A single interpreter console is used by 1 interpreter; a dual interpreter console has usually 2 microphones and control buttons and can be used by 2 interpreters at the same time.
Digital vs Analogue Interpreter Console: Consoles use different technologies to transmit the audio signal to and from the interpreter to the control units, transmitters, and receivers. the 2 main options are analog or digital consoles.
Interpreter Console Models
Williams Sound: Interpreter Control Console (IC-2)
• CAT5 audio bus offers simplified cabling, easy cascading to support additional interpreters.
• Built-in distribution amplifier and mini mixer reduce the need for external equipment and greatly simplify setup.
• Floor language feed-through
• Interlocking microphone and CH2 (relay) output functions
• Soft-touch buttons provide for smoother, quieter operation
• Enhanced flexibility, providing each interpreter with multiple microphone and headset options
• Individual volume and tone controls ensure optimal listening levels
- Dimensions/Weight/Color 10” (25.4cm) x 6.35” (16.1cm) x 2.45” (6.2cm) / 3.4 lbs (1.5 kg) / Black and Silver
- Power External Power Supply, 18VDC Desktop Style Switching Inverter, 110-240VAC, 50-60Hz, 1A
- Floor In 3-pin XLR female jack, balanced (or unbalanced) input with 24k Ω differential input impedance, max balanced input is +19dBu
- IC-2 Bus In / Out CAT5 8p8c RJ45 female receptacle distributes balanced line-level Floor and Relay audio to another IC-2
- XLR Microphone Inputs 3-pin XLR female jack, balanced (or unbalanced) input. Switchable 12VDC simplex power. Variable gain of 58 dB, 2.4k Ω balanced
input impedance, maximum balanced input is +19 dBu
- 3.5mm Microphone Inputs Stereo 3.5 mm TRS phone jack, pink, and stereo 3.5mm TRRS phone jack, black, unbalanced (r,s) for electret condenser mics,
a variable gain of 40dB. Bias is 3.7VDC through 2.7k Ω
- 3.5mm TRRS Headphone Output 3.5mm TRRS phone jack, Tip = Left, Ring 1 = Right, Ring 2 = GND, Sleeve = Mic. 40mW max power into 32 Ω stereo headset.
3.5mm Headphone Output 3.5mm TRS phone jack, mono or stereo headphone, 8 Ω minimum. 190mW max power into 32 Ω stereo headset.
- CH1 Out, CH2 Out 3-pin XLR male jack, balanced output. Max output is +19dBu into 600 Ω balanced load impedance.
- RCA Jacks Red: RCA jack for recording and CH1 audio, Interpreter audio only, no feedthrough.
- White: RCA jack for recording CH2 audio.
- Volume Left and Right rotary, control headphone volume
- Bass and Treble Tone Left and right rotary with center detent, controls headphone bass and treble tone levels.
- Mute Push button, backlit red, mutes left and right mics while pressed.
- Mic On Pushbutton backlit bright red, activates microphone. Right and left Mic On buttons are interlocked; the mic can only be turned on if
the other is off.
- Floor Input, Relay Input Pushbuttons, backlit blue, select listening language group.
- Listening modes are either/or: turning one on disables the other.
- CH2 Output Push button, backlit yellow, selects microphone output language group: light on = CH2 Out, light off = CH1 Out.
- Gain Adjust Rotary gain pots control level of microphone and Floor audio.
- Phantom Power Slide switch enables 12VDC Simplex power to XLR microphone.
- CH1 Feedthrough Slide switch enables Floor feedthrough to Norm Out XLR jack.
- CH2 Feedthrough Slide switch enables Floor feedthrough to Relay Out XLR jack.
- Ground Lift Slide switch disconnects Chassis and Audio Grounds internal to the console.
- Peak Level Indicator Green LED on the back panel indicates optimal audio output level on
- Norm Out XLR when blinking.
- CH2 Output in Use Indicator Yellow LED on the front panel indicates when CH2 is in use.
- Frequency Response 45Hz to 20kHz, +0/-3dB re: 1kHz with flat bass/treble
- Distortion at 1kHz <0.5% THD @ full power
- Signal to Noise Ratio >82dB @ 1kHz
- Crosstalk Attenuation >63dB @ 1kHz
- Tone Controls Bass: +12dB Boost or -12dB Cut @ 100Hz
- Treble: +12dB Boost or -12dB Cut @ 10kHz
- Approvals and Declarations CE, FCC, Industry Canada, RoHS, C-Tick, CB
Danish Interpretation System – IS 6132 P
The IS 6132 P 32-Channel Interpreter Unit is a fully digital, portable, single-user interpreter unit, fully compliant to international standards. The unit features two outgoing A/B channels and four 4 input relay buttons.
Clear positioning of all controls allows intuitive operation without mistakes. The unique digital technology eliminates background noise, distortion and crosstalk. Automatic gain control ensures equal listening level on all channels irrespective of the individual interpreter’s speech level. The operator can change the language setting or activate/de-activate a microphone remotely. The unit can be used with a gooseneck microphone and headphone or a headset.
- Portable interpreter unit for interpreters
- Fully digital audio transmission
- Daisy chain topology with loop through connections or star topology using junction boxes
- DCS-LAN connection by use of CAT 5e (or higher) F/UTP or U/FTP cabling
- Maximum 150 interpreter units per system
- Maximum 32 interpreter units per booth
- Maximum 128 booths per system
- Support for up to 31 interpretation channels
- Two outgoing channels (A+B) with free/locked toggling
- Selectable B channel mode (all channels, one channel, no channels)
- Four relay languages + floor
- Support for multiple interlocking modes (A interrupt A, A interrupt B, A interrupt A+B)
- Illuminated microphone on/off button
- Beep mode for blind interpreters
- Auto floor mode for distributing the floor signal when there is no interpretation
- Volume and tone controls
- Speaking too fast button
- 4 x 24 LCD display with backlight
- Light indication in buttons
- XLR socket for gooseneck microphone
- Large ‘mute/cough’ button
- Connection for headset
- Connection for loudspeaker
- Remotely controllable from the SW 6000 Conference Management Software
Sennheiser SL Interpreter Console
The SL Interpreter is a compact and stand-alone audio control center for simultaneous interpretation of one or more languages. It allows one or two interpreters to monitor floor or relay sources, activate microphone inputs, and route the interpretation signal to different outputs. Ideal for presentation-style conferences, where a floor and a single relay language are used. Recommended to be used with Sennheiser Tourguide 2020 or 1039.
- stand-alone interpreter console – no need for external equipment
- easy to use
- up to 4 consoles can be cascaded for translation into multiple languages
- individual volume and tone controls for 2 interpreters
- easy cascading of up to 4 consoles with Cat 5 cable
- floor language feed-through
- multiple microphone and headset options
- Dimensions 25.4 cm (10″) x 16.1 cm (6.35″) x 6.2 cm (2.45″)
- Jack plug Red: RCA jack for CH1 audio
- Jack plug White: RCA jack for CH2 audio
- Jack plug Interpreter audio only, no feedthrough.
- Weight 3.4 lbs (1.5 kg)
- Phantom powering 12VDC
- Floor in 3-pin XLR female jack, balanced (or unbalanced) input with 24k O differential input impedance, max balanced input is +19dBu
- CH1 Out, CH2 Out 3-pin XLR male jack, balanced output. Max output is +19dBu into 600 O balanced load impedance.
Bosch DCN IDesk-D
The DCN-IDESK (Dark) is a single-user interpreter desk with a stylish and modern design. It fully conforms to internationally agreed standards. Clear positioning per functional area of the desk controls allows intuitive operation without mistakes. A socket is provided to connect the pluggable microphones (DCN-MICS and DCN-MICL, to be ordered separately). The interpreter desk is also available with a light colored base as DCN-IDESK-L.
- Low susceptibility to mobile phone interference
- Ergonomic design with features for visually impaired
- Up to 31 interpretation channels and the original floor language with an audio bandwidth of 20 kHz
- A graphic LCD with backlighting for bright information display in dark conditions
- 5 pre-select keys for relay languages with activation indication at the display
- Compliant to ISO 2603
- Power supply 40 VDC
- Power consumption 3.5 W
- Headphone connection
- Frequency response 30 Hz – 20 kHz
- Load impedance > 32 ohm
- Output power 2 x 30 mW/32 ohm
- Headset connection
- Frequency response 30 Hz – 20 kHz
- Load impedance > 32 ohm
- Output power 60 mW/32 ohm
- Nominal microphone input level 7 mVrms
- Overload microphone input level > 124 mVrms
- Mounting Free-standing or mounted on a table
- Dimensions (H x W x D)(with microphone) 82 x 330 x 170 mm (3.2 x 13 x 6.7 in)
- Slope 25 degrees
- Weight 1.3 kg (2.87 lb)
- Color top Silver (RAL 9022)
- Color base DCN-IDESK-L Light grey (RAL 000 7500), DCN-IDESK-D Charcoal (PH 10736)
Brahler Digital Interpreter Console DDol
The tried and tested operating concept of the interpreter console from the high-end CDSVAN series, developed in cooperation with interpreters, also features in the DIGIMIC DDol.
It’s clearly arranged controls, its large, bright display and the illuminated buttons allow straight and intuitive operation. Up to 3 selectable output channels and 5 preselectable monitoring languages are just as self-understood as separate speech channels providing a link to technical team or the chairperson.
All common (mono and stereo) headphones can easily be connected to the console and in combination with various microphone types or combined headsets it guarantees maximum comfort for the interpreter. The interpreter console is divided into 3 sections:
• Three outgoing channels (A/B/C)
• Microphone ON/ OFF button
• Mute button to mute the activate microphone temporarily
• Clear indication of active and occupied channels
Listening and relay section
• 5 preselectable relay channels
• separate floor button
• Relay interpretation quality indicator Monitoring section
• Loudspeaker with channel selector to monitor all languages
• All loudspeakers within one both will be muted automatically when a DDOL in the booth goes live
• Operator and/ or chairman call
• Auto Relay feature
• Various take-over modes programmable
• “Hearing guard” LED to indicate the headphone volume level
Complies with the standards IEC914 and IEC2603.2
• Sample rate 48kHz
• Resolution 24 BIT
• Frequency response: 20 – 20,000 Hz
• OR + 7 channels
• Latency end to end 1.5 ms
• LC-Display, 2 x 56 characters, backlit Connections
• PREVIOUS (D9) for interconnection
• NEXT (D9) for interconnection
• Microphone TM58/6 or TMD01 (Minicon socket) lockable
• Headphones (3.5/6.3 mm jack)
• Electret Headset 8-pin socket (DIN)
• Lower part: robust plastic, grey
• Operation panel: aluminium, “silver” anodized
• WxHxD: (305 x 96 x 175) mm
• Weight: 1.5 kg
Telecor Interpreter Console
The TIC-2 is an Interpreter’s Control Console for simultaneous interpretation of one or more languages. It allows one or more interpreters to monitor a floor language and interpret it for broadcasting to another language channel, or relay sources to other consoles for interpretation.
- CAT 5 Audio Buss Cabling
- Built in Distribution Amplifier
- Individual Volume and Tone Controls
- Soft Touch Buttons
- Active Mic Indicators
- Floor Language Feed-Through
- Meets International standards for portable Interpretation Consoles
Televic Lingua Interpreter Desk
The Lingua Interpreter Desk has everything on board to make an interpreter’s job easier. The improved ergonomics, from the viewing angle to the button placement, make it more comfortable to work for longer periods. Tactile buttons with braille indicators and even audible feedback give every interpreter tools to perform better. And a clear and flexible user interface allows you to see all information at a glance.
- Save space with a compact design
- Fully ISO 20109:2016 compliant
- Work with less friction, for longer periods
- Built for maximum accessibility (visually impaired interpreters)
- Enjoy all benefits from the Plixus Network
- Screw-lock socket to connect a removable microphone immune to mobile interface:
- D-MIC30SL 71.98.0053
- D-MIC40SL 71.98.0054
- D-MIC50SL 71.98.0055
- Headphones available separately: TEL15 Headphones 71.04.1216
- Headset available separately: HS15 Headset 71.04.1217
- 2 x RJ 45 connectors for loop through cabling
- 1 x RJ 45 connector for LAN connectivity (Future use)
- Three 3.5 mm stereo jack sockets for headphones/
- Plixus-powered, 64 channels available
More information (External links)
Gonsin – TC-F06-16 Interpreter Console
Digitally-controlled workstation to be used by one or two interpreters. Designed for 6-channel or 16-channel simultaneous interpretation system. LCD screen to display the following information:
1) Channel selection and confirmation
2) Incoming/outgoing language channel number
3) All the occupied language channels
4) channel number of the present unit
5) Interpretation time for the last and present operation
z Two different types of microphone can be used:
1) High quality gooseneck microphone
2) Headset microphone
Built-in loudspeaker with volume level control. Loudspeaker is automatically switched off when the microphone is turned on
3 pre-selected incoming channels are available
Automatic channel interlocking function prevents the interpreters from using the same outgoing channel
The floor audio automatically goes to the outgoing channel when the microphone is turned off.
Multiple interpreter consoles can be connected in a daisy-chain
- Frequency response: 50-18kHz
- Distortion at 1 kHz: < 0.1%
- Channel separation: > 85 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio: > 90 dB
- Max. input power level: 7.5V
- Operating voltage: 24V
- Power consumption: 2.5W
- Operating temperature: 0 °C – 50 °C
- Standard microphone stem length: 425 mm
- 128×64 backlit LCD screen
- 3.5mm jacks for microphone, recorder, headphone
- ABS base dimensions: 247X145X95mm (W*D*H)
Interpreter Consoles Setup and Video
Video: Williams Sound: Interpreter Control Console (IC-2)
Video : Interpretation Set up on DIS CU6005 / CU6010 & IS6132